Our Mission is Education for All Ages
July 4th Celebrations!
Amanda Tuttle, Market Educator celebrated not only July 4th with the kids at the Market, but also "summer in general". Kids learned about other summer traditions. Check out this page dedicated to “Midsummer” in Sweden and these interesting photos from across the globe, of people celebrating summer.
For Kids to Create At Home
What beautiful art can you create with summer fruit? There is plenty of choices of color at the farmers’ market. These are peaches from Bera Ranch turned into a “sunny” edible art display. Enjoy your summer days!
For Gardeners to Learn At Home
Here are some great recommendations on Managing Snails and Slugs in Your Garden from the UC Master Gardeners of Napa County who present a monthly Mini Workshop at the St. Helena Farmers’ Market on the second Tuesday of the month. And for managing common problems with growing summer vegetables:
Food of Love Program
Here's a sample of the Educational Programs completed at the market or in the classroom in 2013 and conducted by Amanda Tuttle, Market Educator:
- "Apples at School": Amanda visted The Young School to conduct a program celebrating apples! Students listened to a story that captured their imagination, tasted apples and then made Apple Paninis! Here's the recipe from one of the students.
- "Colorful Choices": St. Helena Elementary Students shopped for color at the market and then met up with Amanda for a lesson on nutrition.
- "Seed Art": Stephanie Zuntz, Art through Earth Sciences Teacher and Amanda led students from the Pathways Charter School to make homemade plant-able cards (tomato, eggplant and carrot), embedded with seeds, and made Seed Art Trees with naturally colored pumpkin seeds.
- "Corn Amazement": A program celebrating the corn season and the science and beauty of corn," led by Amanda Tuttle, Market Educator. Here is a photo of the "Corn Blessing Circle," made with corn and corn flowers.
- Pizza Wheel Garden Program: Kids had a pizza veggie snack inspired by the book, "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots" and a "Pizza Wheel Garden" at the Community Garden where Amanda lives.
- Market Classroom: Chef André Cardé, St. Helena's Boys & Girls Club led his students and market goers in a fun "Kid's Cooking Activity".
- Market Classroom - "Veggie Color Wheel":Kids from St. Helena's Discoveryland's "Summer Program" joined Amanda Tuttle at the Market Classroom to learn about healthy shopping and eating by choosing a rainbow of fruits and veggies.
- Market Classroom - "The Life of a Bee": Primary School and Catholic School students joined Meadowmont Farms' Beekeeper, Jim Foster for a lecture on the fascinating life in a beehive.
- Market Classroom - "Chick Chick": Primary School classrooms joined Nutritionist and Chef, Kay Wilson, and Market Educator, Amanda Tuttle at the Market Classroom. Kids met Kay's chicken, "Chick-Chick," and learned about her life amongst her flock of Bantam Cochin hens.
And in favorite things, we have listed:
- some of our Favorite Cookbooks from local Chefs/Food Writers recently featured in the market's Book-Signing Program,
- Websites that will give you food for thought!
- and for the "Movie Buffs", take a trip down memory lane and watch one of the great movies shown at past market "Movie Fundraisers".